Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hops Growing Structure

Ok, I know I'm a little late...I promised on the Home Brewing Perspectives Podcast the other day that I would post structural diagrams of the "trellis" system I'm growing my hops on. The structure will be a "straight pole" trellis system. 2 large posts spaced apart with a wire "web" between the posts. The wires will be attached to the posts through eyelet or hooks. The poles will be spaced about 20 ft. apart. That will leave plenty of room for the 6 rhizomes I ordered. I plan on having my poles be about 10 ft. high (and set 2-3 ft. in the ground). This will give the structure substantial support as well as being tall enough to allow growth, while still low enough that I can harvest the hop cones without much of a problem. Remember, I plan on training the hops horizontally before vertically.

Diagrams of the structure soon to follow...

No comments: